The LWD is an important service to evaluate formation while drilling, trough that a real time date is received to surface system allowing experts making key and quick decisions to reach objectives with less cost.
For a success an LWD operations, some key checks are important to avoid failures and NPTs (Non productive time):
- Drilling program, restrictions and recommendations (ROP plan, Sections plan, DLS, Trajectory, casing program, drilling hazards, mud program…)
- Make sure that downhole sensors are updated and calibrated:
Plateau calibration for natural gamma ray sensor.
3 or 4 points gamma and neutron calibrations
Antennas resistance receivers air calibration.
Pressure sensor calibration.
- Valid date of the RTC (Real Time Clock) batteries.
- Logging batteries life calculation.
- Recorded memory data rate, whit is affecting the memory capacity.
- Optimal real time data Update according the operation ROP.
- BHA Design and interference to have good images resolution.
- Environmental corrections.
- Well production nearby, SIMOP.
- Offset well.
- Depth control system.
- Log gaps and relogging.
- Formation Lithology.
- Geological program.
- Radioactive sources management (Procedure, storage, handling tools and safety)